Brass swivels: the superior hose fittingPosted by on May 16, 2017
Brass as a construction material is an alloy primarily composed of copper and zinc. Brass hose fittings are in high demand because of many inherent properties which make them superior to other materials (for example: stainless steel).
Brass is the best fitting option for hose reels for a multitude of reasons.
Let’s examine a few of the most relevant examples:
- Brass offers excellent corrosion resistance from both water and heat and resists attacks from salt water, which is perfect for those reels used in close vicinity to salt water.
- The brass metal is relatively soft and the texture of the metal provides for a tight seal with every application and ease of installation upon first use.
- Copper fittings are an obvious competitor; however, brass fittings for your hose reels offer the very same advantages, only with a heavier wall for added strength and durability.
- Many hose reel users believe that brass fittings are best for uses strictly involved in water, commercial plumbing, and OEM applications, but it is also commonly used in oil, gas, and steam applications. Brass fittings are much more diverse than they are often given credit for.
- Many OEM’s are making the switch from traditional iron and galvanized fittings to brass due to the longevity, durability, and superior corrosion resistance.
Overall, brass hose reel fittings outlast others commonly used and do not gall when being screwed together or unscrewed. Brass fittings for your hose reel have proven to be amongst the most effective available for industrial use. Careful consideration should go into selecting the best and most reliable hose reel fittings. A proper fitting choice will not only enhance the efficiency of your hose reel, it will also undoubtedly extend the life of the device.